HTML/JavaScript





Thursday, June 3, 2010

Think Pink! One wreath for all seasons (a mini tute)

Hi all! Do you remember my Ruffle Wreath? Here is what it has looked like since I finished it a while back.



I had said that I wanted to be able to use this wreath year-round, changing the decor for the season (or just because I get bored, lol). But I hadn't really figured out a good way to do that...until yesterday! I first created the decor I wanted to use (will get to that later). Then I pulled out a piece of felt, and cut it in the general shape of the section of wreath that I wanted to cover (be sure it isn't larger than your wreath). Next you will want to attach your decor to the felt (I laid them out on the wreath to get the placement I wanted), I simply used hot glue. Trim your felt piece so that it is not visible around your decor.


Then you'll want to pull out some sticky backed velcro. You'll only need the scratchy side. I cut several lengths and stuck them to my wreath where I knew the decor piece would be (I used two at the top/inside edges, and one at the bottom/outside edge). Note: this would certainly be easier to do with a wreath that had a flatter surface, but I made do.

*Update*: my sticky back velcro became gooey and not so sticky after a few days of my wreath hanging on our front door in the heat and humidity. If your wreath is going to hang outside, I would suggest using some strong adhesive so that it stays put. I swiped some of my hubby's liquid nails, and the velcro hasn't budged since.



All you need to do now is firmly press your felt-backed decor piece onto your wreath, and hang! Wahoo! Now, when you get bored or the season changes all you need to do is cut another felt piece in the same general shape and decorate!

Here is my Ruffle Wreath (you can find the wreath tutorial here) with its updated decor!


Right now I am thinking pink for Breast Cancer Awareness! I used pink fabric and ribbons from my stash to make these flowers (the white in the center of the large flower are little pom poms).


This Saturday I am participating in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. My grandmother and cousin both lost their lives to breast cancer, and there are several member's of my husband's family who have been touched by the disease as well. I am humbled to be just a small part of this.

Go team WoCoChaJo Girls (although we may need to change the name as my father-in-law is walking with us as well, lol)!


Linking up here



Show and Tell Green


Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

8 comments:

  1. This is sooo nice! I'm going to look at the tute for the ruffle wreath next. I'm really liking this look. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pop of the pink against the ruffles and your velcro idea is very clever! Love this! How would this work for ruffled pillows with changeable seasonal flowers? Great, I'm thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, I think that could work! Like I said, the velcro would be a little more effective on a flatter surface, especially if the pillow will get some wear. It sure is a fun idea though! If we ever get our living room painted and decorated I may just do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea! Good luck this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a pretty wreath! Thank you for linking to my party Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! I'm loving this! I love ruffles and fabric flowers. This is the perfect combo.

    http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Love the ruffles! The pink flowers are adorable! Hope you have a great weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wreath is so elegant, I love it! Come see me, I'm giving away 3 gorgeous Sam Moon cuff bracelets here:
    www.sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com
    ♥Laurie

    ReplyDelete