HTML/JavaScript





Monday, May 24, 2010

Fabric Wrapped Bracelets and a mini tute

Here I go again in my quest to accessorize and vamp up my wardrobe. I saw this tutorial for hoop earrings at Happy Together. They are SO cute! Unfortunately, I cannot wear "fake" earrings. Boo. HOWEVER, I figured I'd try the idea with bracelets. I had a few dollars left on an A.C. Moore gift card so I picked up this pack of thin bangles for $2 (cheaper if you have one of their coupons), I think there were 7 in the pack.



Once of these days I'll hit up the Dollar Tree and see if they have some wide bangles to try this with. I dug through my bag of scraps and decided to do several in neutral tones, I included one that had a pale blue/gray in the pattern. All colors often found in my wardrobe. I LOVE how they came out!!!


With this set, I simply wrapped the blue/brown fabric, and with the solid fabric I first wrapped, and then used her knotting technique. I think this one may be my favorite!



With this set I wrapped using a strip of the the print fabric, and the other I used the "ragged" selvage edge the solid color fabric. I love the different textures!



I used the same size bangle for this bracelet. Want to know how I changed the width of this one and created the pleats?



Here is a mini tute for you. I hope these pictures don't make your eyes bleed. I thought of taking pictures while I was in the middle of this project, which I did during the finale of LOST. I couldn't tell if they were coming out or not and I was a little preoccupied. lol

First I cut several long strips of canvas type fabric (anything on the heavier side should do) that were 1/2 inch wide. Using hot glue, I covered the INSIDE of the bracelet with my fabric strip. Then I took another strip to create the pleats on the outside of the bracelet. Pinch your fabric and fold it up over the strip that is already glued down. When you have it were you want it, put a small dab of hot glue under that fold so that it stays put and then continue all the way around until your reached the spot you started. I varied the size of my pleats and let a few tilt to one side or the other so it didn't look too uniform.




Let me know if you have questions. Now wear your one of a kind bracelets with pride!



Linking up here



Show and Tell Green


make it wear it
UndertheTableandDreaming

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up  party!

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love unique jewelry like that. Glad your group enjoyed my Donut Muffins too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! I love how you did the pleated one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow they are gorgeous :)

    Found you via Tea Rose Home link party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the pleated one! Saw you through tea rose home link party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute idea. I especially like the one with the frayed edges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YHou are very creative! I love the pleated one.
    Thank you for linking to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my cuteness! This is simply adorable. I make a lot of my own jewelry, and this is such a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great and inexpensive idea! My husband always appreciates those types of crafts :)
    Please link up to my linky party.
    http://www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone for your sweet comments

    ReplyDelete
  10. love these! I have dozens of bracelets I could use to make these. Thanks so much for the idea! I found you on seamingly smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous idea! These are such a great idea! Super cute! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase Party. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete